The most perfect, simple dish to end summer. Although I refuse to accept that summer is ending. I’m not ready for leaves changing colors or pumpkin anything. It’s just too soon. PS the best fall drink at Starbucks is a Salted Caramel Mocha. Not the PSL. Fact.
Anyway, pan seared jumbo shrimp over thin sliced red cabbage tossed in a tangy cilantro lime dressing. So easy and ZERO guilt. Plan ahead if you can, the slaw tastes better after it sits for a couple of hours. Mix it up a few times every hour so the shredded cabbage is evenly coated and really marries with the dressing. Yummy yummy goodness.
In this recipe I use Sir Kensington’s Mayo for the creaminess. I know it’s a very specific ingredient. Sir Kensington’s is a lemony dressing like mayonnaise that works really well here. If you use “regular” mayo, it will absolutely work but you might want to add a little fresh lemon juice or increase the lime juice (to taste) at the end.
Pan Seared Shrimp over Cilantro Lime SlawPrint Recipe
- 1.5 lbs Jumbo Shrimp, peeled, deveined & butterflied
- 1 tsp Chili Powder
- 1 tsp Garlic Powder
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 3-4 tbsp Olive Oil, for cooking shrimp
- For the Slaw:
- 1 medium head Red Cabbage, cored, cleaned & thinly sliced ( about 6-8 cups once shredded)
- .5 oz fresh Cilantro (2 single serve packages) washed, thick stems removed & chopped. About 2 heaping tablespoons once chopped.
- 1 small bunch 6-8 Scallions, washed & sliced (green and white parts)
- 1/4 cup Fresh Lime Juice, about 2 limes + 1 lime cut into wedges to serve with
- 1/4 cup Canola Oil
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1/4 tsp Garlic Powder
- 1/4 cup Sir Kensington's Mayo (or comparable creamy ingredient)
Using a food processor or blender, pulse the Cilantro, Scallions, Lime Juice, Canola Oil, Salt & Garlic Powder a few times. Add Mayo, pulse again until fully combined. Taste and see if you want to add a pinch more salt or more lime juice. Pour over shredded red cabbage in a large bowl and toss to combine. Set aside, tossing periodically to coat all the cabbage. This is best served a few hours after combining cabbage with dressing, but can be served sooner.
In a frying pan, heat oil over medium heat. In a bowl, toss to coat Shrimp with 1/2 tsp Salt, 1 tsp Chili Powder & 1 tsp Garlic Powder. Add Shrimp to pan and sear for 2 minutes on each side, or until fully cooked. Once cooked, remove from heat and allow to cool before serving.
Serve Shrimp over Slaw with lime wedges.